1973 Allied Radio – Back to School Savings Catalog #AR8

An archive of vintage Allied Radio & Industrial Electronics Catalogs on YouTube.

Catalog pages are displayed in 1080p HD (high definition). To view text clearly, set your YouTube setting to display 1080p HD.

To view the complete ALLIED RADIO & ELECTRONICS CATALOG ARCHIVE, go to: www.AlliedCatalogs.com

To view the complete RADIO SHACK CATALOG ARCHIVE, go to: www.RadioShackCatalogs.com

** A BRIEF HISTORY OF ALLIED RADIO & ELECTRONICS CORPORATION **
In 1928, Allied Radio (now known as Allied Electronics) was started in Chicago, IL.

In 1932, Allied was selling electronic parts by catalog. Storefront sales operations were established with the goal of selling to amateur radio operators and electronics experimenters. The company built a growing business in marketing radio parts and kits to home hobbyists, and was one of the first to sell electronics through a catalog. In addition, Allied opened storefront distribution outlets to reach more amateur ham radio operators and experimenters. During this time, Allied moved to 833 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL.

From 1941-45, having survived the depression, Allied focused on the war effort, primarily servicing government contracts and high-priority industrial orders. During WWII, Allied devoted itself to the war effort by handling government contracts and high-priority industrial needs. This was Allied's first real experience in industrial electronics. After the war, Allied continued to sell to the consumer and industrial markets.

From 1946-60, the electronics industry exploded as new developments in electronics were adopted on a widespread basis in commerce and industry. Innovations such as television, industrial automation, space technology and defense accelerated the need for electronics. Consumer demand also grew as radio sets and components not available during the war proliferated. Allied's main competitors were Radio Shack, Lafayette Radio, Olson Electronics, Newark Electronics, Burstein-Applebee Co., and local independent dealers (such as WinterRadio). Allied's primary house brands included "Allied", "Knight", and "Knight-Kit".

In 1953, Allied Radio Corporation moves into its new, 2 million dollar building at 100 N. Western Ave, Chicago, IL. This "ultra-modern" facility was designed by experts to give their customers the best service in the industry.

In 1961, Allied Radio Corporation established Allied Electronics Corporation as a wholly owned subsidiary to assume industrial sales of its small electronic components, relays, semi-conductors and the like which accounted for more than one-third of Allied's $40 million annual sales.

In 1962, the first industrial catalog for Allied Electronics, a subsidiary of Allied Radio, was released. The company continued to serve both amateur and professional ham radio operators as one of the few places to locate that "hard to get" piece of radio equipment.

In 1970, Allied moved its headquarters from Chicago, Illinois to Fort Worth, Texas because 1970 marked the year when Radio Shack's parent company, the Tandy Corporation (now Radio Shack Corporation) , purchased Allied Electronics and Allied Radio.

In 1970, Tandy introduced combined catalogs of Allied Radio Shack stereo equipment, computers, phones, CB radios, scanners, speakers, antennas, P.A. systems, walkie-talkies, radios, electronic components, test equipment, electronic kits, & more.

In 1972, the catalog is now a treasure trove for persons tracking down old components when trying to restore old professional and industrial equipment. Essex/Stancor, UTC, Switchcraft, Dialco, Arrow-Hart, Sprague, Fairchild, Robertshaw, Centralab, Belden, Sigma, Magnecraft, C. P. Clare, Amphenol, Shure, Electro-Voice, Sola, Simpson, Superior Electric, Hurst, RCA, Elmenco, ADC, H. H. Smith, are only some of the brand names represented. Interspersed with the major pro names were Micronta, Realistic, and other Radio Shack "consumer level" house brands.

In 1973, due directly to federal court action, Tandy was ordered to divest itself of Allied Radio.

In 1995, Allied is the first electronics distribution company to come out with a CD-ROM catalog and quickly followed-up by entering the e-commerce arena with the launch of a web site. Allied's main competitors were Radio Shack, Newark Electronics, Digi-Key, Jameco, and Mouser Electronics.

Today, Allied Electronics is a small order, high service level distributor of electronic components and electromechanical products with over 50 sales offices across the United States and in Canada.